National Cyber Force (NCF) Opportunities at Dstl - Expressions of Interest
- Company: DSTL
- Location: Porton Down
- Salary: £24,500 - £65,117
- Closing Date: 15 January 2021
If you have a disability we will try our best to make reasonable adjustments to remove any barriers to this post in the application / interview process due to a disability.
Dstl Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire
About the job
The National Cyber Force (NCF) is a new defence and intelligence partnership between GCHQ and MoD that conducts cyber operations to disrupt adversaries, including hostile state activity, terrorists, criminals and child sexual abuse. SIS and Dstl are also core partners, bringing cutting edge espionage and research techniques.
At Dstl, we harness science and technology to protect our nation – bringing together the best people with the best ideas, and applying them in unexpected ways. Our unique position within Defence brings strong links to the armed forces, giving us access and insight to our military personnel and their operational challenges. The solutions we deliver cover everything from long term research and analysis through to rapid development in support of current operations with the potential to save lives.
We are looking for people to register an expression of interest for roles that are available now and in the future within Dstl supporting the NCF.
The UK is a world leader in cyber expertise and has a prominent role in global security. We need to counter a wide range of threats and better support the UK's national security priorities. What we need for our mission is people like you.
Dstl, working alongside GCHQ, MOD and SIS as core partners of the National Cyber Force designs and delivers cyber operations to support the UK's national security priorities, from supporting military operations to countering serious crime to combatting terrorism.
It takes a wide variety of people and skills to achieve our goals. That's why we need creative and systematic thinkers who find solutions in novel ways.
You'll have a passion for all things science and technology, and enjoy working in a complex and novel environment. You may find yourself programming, doing lab-based research, or evaluating new tools and techniques in the field.
No two roles at Dstl are the same, but your work at Dstl will make a difference to the UK's Defence and Security.
Even if you are unsure that you meet all the criteria below you likely have skills we need so please do register your interest. No matter your skills, qualifications or interest – your motivation, aptitude and attitude is what counts.
We are looking for people who have:
• Either STEM-related academic knowledge or equivalent experience and skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Creative problem solving skills
• Critical / analytical thinking skills
• The ability to work on complex / unbounded problems and apply scientific or engineering knowledge to them
• The desire to keep learning and developing
• The desire to understand how things work and to improve them
• The ability to work outside of their comfort zone
• Self-starting skills
• Integrity, honesty, objectivity and impartiality
1. You should only launch your application from within the UK. If you are based overseas, you should wait until you visit the UK to launch an application. Applying from outside the UK will impact on our ability to progress your application.
2. Discretion is important to our organisation. You should not discuss your expression of interest, other than with your partner or a close family member, providing that they are British. They should also be made aware of the importance of discretion.
3. You should not post on social media sites about your application or discuss it with anyone else at this stage. You will receive further guidance during the recruitment process if we have suitable roles for you.
We'll provide a great range of benefits including:
Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
Flexible Working hours, a rolling 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month.
Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
Chartership and accreditation support.
Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
A competitive salary.
Onsite gyms and restaurants.
Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
DSTL recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following:
• Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
• Faith and Culture Network
• Parents and Carer Support Network
• Alternative Working Network
• Gender Equality Network
• New Starters Network
• Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities