Construction Project Manager
- Company: DSTL
- Location: Salisbury
- Salary: £31,500 - £37,500
- Closing Date: 29 October 2020
If you have a disability we will try our best to make reasonable adjustments to remove any barriers to this post in the application / interview process due to a disability.
About the job
At Dstl, we protect lives. We take innovative science and technology and use it to keep the country safe. With so much at stake, we're constantly looking for ways to perform at our very best.
Our Built Infrastructure & Environment Portfolio are seeking experienced project managers to join their diverse team who delivers a range of projects of differing complexity, scale and value across Dstl's estate. You will join a growing team who bring dedication to their work along with expertise and knowledge of a vibrant, positive working environment.
We are responsible for crafting programmes of work and delivery of projects that support and improve the capabilities of Dstl which in turn allow Dstl to conduct its business and deliver the corporate objectives now and for the future, ensuring the estate remains compliant, safe, secure and an efficient place of work.
This is a phenomenal opportunity for experienced project managers with a genuine passion for delivering infrastructure that is often outstanding and innovative and supports world class science and technology in support of the defence and security of the UK.
This role can be either located in Porton Down (Salisbury) or Portsdown West (Fareham).
As a Construction Project Manager you will be responsible for:
- Creating and leading the project to deliver the agreed outcomes within time, cost and quality constraints.
- Providing day to day management and leadership of various projects and the Project Team. You will set project controls along with crafting the project structure appropriate to stage and apply appropriate delivery methodologies.
- Responsible for coordinating the development of business cases as well as supervising the delivery within budget.
- Schedule and manage resources to deliver the project, identify and supervise project risks and issues with developing mitigating actions and raise as appropriate.
- Ensure benefits are identified, understood, measured, supervised and owned. Also ensuring appropriate Benefits Realisation Strategy is in place and supervising the longer term delivery of benefits against the business case.
- Be responsible for identifying key partners and develop effective relationships.
- Provide key reports and support effective governance and decision making.
- Support or set appropriate project assurance along with ensuring effective Change Management processes are in place to agree and document changes to deliverables as agreed with partners.
- Seek appropriate support, guidance and coaching from the project community. Show dedication to personal development as well as promoting effective individual and team performance.
- Building a project plan and applying the appropriate project principles to deliver stated objectives. Identifying and setting appropriate Project Controls along with tracking and reporting delivery against achievements.
- Role-modelling behaviours and crafting a positive working environment which supports diversity and enables staff working on your project to excel.
- Championing the development of professional Project Management; including the regular identification and sharing of lessons identified.
We are looking for Project Managers who have proven experience with infrastructure and either has experience of using the New Engineering Contract (NEC) suite or someone who is willing to undertake the vital qualifications within a 12-month period.
You will have a collaborative approach that is founded on trust and cooperation. You will be responsible for seeing a project through from start to finish working closely with key partners. You will work with the project team on a day-to-day basis and will be responsible for coordinating the delivery of the project to ensure that the objectives are clearly defined and achieved within the agreed time, cost and quality constraints.
Project management qualification such as APM PMQ or APM PQ or PRINCE2
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Managing a Quality Service
Making Effective Decisions
We'll provide a great range of benefits including:
Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month.
Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
Chartership and accreditation support.
Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
A competitive salary.
Onsite gyms and restaurants.
Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
DSTL recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following:
• Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
• Faith and Culture Network
• Parents and Carer Support Network
• Alternative Working Network
• Gender Equality Network
• New Starters Network
• Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities
For further information about DSTL please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
The sift will be completed by Friday 30th October, and successful candidates will be invited for a one hour video interview on 11th or 12th November 2020.
Please be aware that due to the current nationwide restrictions on travel and public gatherings and to ensure your safety, these interviews will likely be taking place through video interview. Should this change we will notify candidates who are selected for interview.
This role will require full UK Security Clearance so you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years.
Our work is highly sensitive and you will need a high level of security clearance to understand the security threats you are working to defeat. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our partner organisations across Defence. We work closely with Defence Industry on many projects, so it would be great to work with you via one of our partners.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : Dstl Recruitment Team
Email : email@example.com
Recruitment team :
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.